
Yesterday I headed to the Old Town section of Chicago to check out a wine storage place. The idea is that your collection is so big that your cellar is too small, or you live in an apartment and don't even have a cellar, and you need to outsource storage. This place is climate controlled, etc. I've been hearing about this place for months! With the weather not looking any better it was time for a field trip. A special thanks to Viv and Matt for letting me tag along...and not being surprised that I wanted to capture our trip on camera.
My main interest is, of course, the Sauternes and Sauternes-Barsacs. I am happy to report that I located an entire case of Coutet!
Some people have fancy shelves within their storage areas -- which resemble cages. Others just keep everything in cases and boxes. Some individual create complex stacking system to maximize space and try to overcome the lack of a uniform bottle shape amongst brands! Then there are those that forget to store their wine so that the liquid is always in contact with the cork (this is to make sure the cork doesn't dry out) -- amateurs. There was one common practice amongst these wine collectors: place your Yquiem half bottle in plain view! Yes, this cellar is not just storage but also a place to show off your grape juice. Very interesting!

No comments:
Post a Comment